Forty-three Clarendon County residents and friends enjoyed the guided tour through the tree-lined streets of Cheraw past the many historic homes and churches.
The Clarendon County Historical Society took its annual spring tour to Cheraw with Tour Director Marie Land and Society President Jerry Robertson on May 24.
Sites visited included the New Saint David’s Church, 1770-era Old Saint David’s Church, The Lyceum, which serves as Cheraw’s local history museum, The Town Green – laid out by Eli Kershaw and The Teacherage – thought to be the oldest home in Cheraw.
Sarah Spruill served as the guide for the day. Spruill and her husband, the Honorable James A. Spruill, are the current owners and residents of “The Teacherage.” Spruill took all the participants on a tour of her home with personal stories of the building and its furnishings.
A picnic-style lunch was held in Cheraw’s Riverside Park on the banks of the Great Pee Dee River. Margaret Robertson coordinated the lunch fixings for the annual tour picnic.
Tour participants included: Ann Alderman, Anita Ard, Kathryn Ard, James Bagnal, Gene Benfield, Tommy and Jane Benton, June Brailsford, June Brehm, Carolyn and Welborn Brewer, Martha Burke, Nancy Cave, Greg and Peggy Chiappetta, Freddie Crymes, Burnette Geddings, Carolyn Haynes, Mary Alice Ipock, Barbara Johnson, Marie Land, Anna McCord, Rachel Miles, Teri Norsworthy, Mildred Palicka, Jean and Jeanie Prothro, Jim and Mary Queen, Janice Richburg, Rodney Richburg, Jerry and Margaret Robertson, Billy and Edna Rowe, Julie Sanders, Jack Shandor, Julie Speer, Jim and Jean Sprott, Norvelle Walker, Richard Watkins, and Sue Willa.